Skip to main content

A drift is a straight metal bar used with a hammer to tap out (or in) bolts and bushes that are under load, such as in suspension parts.

Any suitable metal bar or tube can be used. Its diameter should be slightly smaller than that of the part to be removed. Use an alloy drift for soft metals such as brass, a steel drift for harder metals.

Make sure the driven end is sound, or it may splinter and fly off under the hammer. If you cannot find a suitable drift, you can use a socket, but take care not to damage it when hammering.

Articles Title

Renewing hinge pins and hinges

Worn hinge pins occur most often on front doors, where the hinges get the most use. Many hinges ...

Removing wheel bearings

Using a puller A hub with ball bearings, and even one with rollers, may stick. If so, use a...

Replacing the Bendix gear

A purpose-made Bendix spring compressor can be used to free the circlip. With the spring compres...

Replacing transmission oil seals

Replacing a gearbox-extension housing seal The extension housing seal can usually be replaced wi...